Wednesday, July 28, 2010

San Francisco Trip 2010

"The coldest winter I ever saw was the summer I spent in San Francisco." - This quote by Mark Twain describes the San Fran weather well.

We flew to CA on Thursday morning and spent the day settling in with Jennifer's Aunt Christina. Also to specify, we stayed North of San Fran in the Oakland area, more specifically Burkeley. Aunt Christina has two sons Cole and Kai which entertained Thomas immensely with their toy cars, and Christina and Linda was very hospitable hostesses.

Friday morning was great because we took Kai to space camp and got to act like astronauts. Then we all piled into the mini-van and drove to Napa Valley! Although I'm not a wine drinker I was interested in seeing the sights and learning about wine. We all had a fun day looking at grapes and of course tasting a lot of wine- don't worry, me and Thomas didn't drink.

Saturday was fun and exciting because we ventured downtown to San Francisco, and as you can see from my quote at the beginning, it was windy and pretty chilly. Arizona in the summer is triple digits hot and so yes, it was nice to cool down, but wearing a jacket? Seriously, that might have been too cool. I was able to see a high school friend of mine, Chrissie who lives in San Fran and works for a wonderful company, Google (they run this blog site). The big attraction on Saturday was Alcatraz. I think we spent at least a couple hours over on the island checking out the cells and the grounds and all the seagulls. Saturday turned out to be a busy and tiring day, which turned out to be nothing compared to Sunday.

Sunday started very early, because we drove back to San Fran (Pier 39). The reason we came to San Francisco is because Uncle Tony decided to run the full San Francisco marathon, and because the rest of us were going to run the 5k. I don't go into details about how everyone finished because this blog is focused on the Ash Family and not exercising and running (sorry Ernesto). Around midday everyone finished they race and we returned to Berkeley to pack our suitcases and start saying our good byes. Jenn, Thomas and I really enjoyed the entire trip because we were able to see a lot of Jenn's family and spend time exploring a great city with Jenn's siblings and Aunts and cousins.

Here is a picture of me at the very end of the 5k. I'll be honest and say that I had zero training and was feeling very out of shape.


These pictures here are from the entire trip and I do believe they are pretty much in chronological order, so you should be able to tell which pictures are Napa and which ones are Alcatraz, enjoy!


San Fran Trip

2 comments:

  1. HA! Don that is the greatest race picture EVER! I thought my face in my race pic was pretty funny but nothing tops that one. Good job on keeping those legs moving! And look at it this way, there were tons of people WAY behind you. WAY TO GO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don you did awesome race day. I don't know if you will ever want to do it again but it was fun doing it all together!

    ReplyDelete